What is a Full-Stack Developer?
Similar Job Titles:
A Full-Stack Developer has the ability to work on both the front-end and back-end portions of an application, software, or website. However, Full-Stack Developers are considered to be “jacks of all trades” but not necessarily masters of all. These professionals typically have a holistic understanding of both the back-end and front-end technologies.
What does a Full-Stack Developer do, typically?
Full-Stack Developers have a range of skills and breadth of knowledge. These professionals’ experiences vary greatly and their skills and knowledge of technologies can vary as well. Full-Stack Developers may work on projects that involve building applications, software, or websites. Generally, these developers should have a level of proficiency in the following categories and languages:
- HTML/CSS – allows you to add content to a website and style the content
- One or more back-end (programming) languages such as:
- REST & HTTP – Allows clients to communicate with servers
- Databases & web storage – Storing data to be accessed at a later time (MySQL, MongoDB, Oracle, etc.)
- Git/Github – Allows developers to keep track of all changes being made to a codebase (get the latest code, update parts of a code, make fixes, change code without breaking things)
- Basic understanding of design including:
- Front-end development (HTML, CSS, JS)
Full-Stack Developers are not:
Back-End Developers are needed to make the server, application, and database communicate with each other. Back-end developers use server-side languages like PHP, Ruby, Python, Java, and .net to build an application, and tools like MySQL, Oracle, and SQL Server to find, save, or change data and serve it back to the user in front-end code. These developers specialize in the back-end of website, applications, and software. They are not typically skilled in the design elements of front-end or full-stack developers.
Important metrics for a Full-Stack Developer
- Error Rate
- Time to Interaction
- Interaction response time
- Page rendering
- DOM processing
Full-Stack Developer Salary
US Based, employer-reported data for a Full-Stack Developer:
- 25th Percentile $73.7K
- Average $86K
- 75th Percentile $97.7K
Full-Stack Developer Job Description
Bonus copy for your Full-Stack Developer job description or job ad!
Copy the following text and paste it into your own job description, or, into our downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
- Experience implementing User Experience (UX) focused designs
- Web service development experience in back-end languages such as Python and PHP
- Relational and NoSQL Database experience including MySQL and MongoDB
- Working knowledge of Github
- Persistent desire to learn new skills and technologies
Visit The Ultimate Guide to Hiring Digital Talent page for more digital job descriptions!
Not the job you were looking for?Search Other Roles