Senior Director of Media Relations
Summary: Leading PR, media relations, and crisis management strategy for a university
Widely recognized as one of the most beautiful private campuses in the West, this university draws on its rich legacy as the oldest chartered university in California. Their student body thrives in their small classes and dynamic cultural environment, while their distinguished alumni are transforming their communities every day.
As the Senior Director of Media Relations, you’ll lead PR, media relations, and crisis management strategy for the university. You’ll serve as an advisor to the Assistant Vice Principal and Executive Director of Marketing and Communications for three campuses with local, regional, and national media.
You have at least 12 years’ experience in media relations, reporting or public relations in an institutional setting (education, government or nonprofit). And, if you have a Master’s degree, it’s a big plus! But, you are especially experienced in exercising discretion, judgment and expertise to advise senior leadership, faculty, staff and students on sensitive issues to manage the university’s reputation.
- Operates with high level of autonomous decision making to facilitate rapid media interviews and deploy subject matter experts for breaking stories; exercising sound judgment at all times is paramount to this position.
- Serves as the university’s principal communications spokesperson as determined in partnership with the Assistant Vice President of Marketing and Communications
- Serves as trusted advisor to senior-level administrators (presidents, regents, vice presidents, deans) on media pitches, interviews, media training and strategic story development
- Develops and executes a strategic plan for campus media relations, including identification of key performance indicators.
- Identifies, develops and produces news releases, editorials, opinion pieces, advisories, experts lists, video stories, podcasts, social media campaigns and other rich news content that advances university priorities
- Manages crisis communications and proactively manages repetitional issues
- Bachelor’s degree – Master’s Degree preferred
- 12+ years of experience in media relations, reporting or public relations in an institutional setting (education, government or nonprofit)
- Advanced skills/experience in planning, executing and measuring strategic communications such as brand messaging, media campaigns, reputation management and crisis/issue management
- Experience cultivating good relationships with reporters at traditional and new media outlets and at pitching and promoting stories and experts
- Excellent project management skills; able to manage several high-priority projects simultaneously in a heavy volume environment meeting budgets and deadlines
Benefits for all Celarity employees.
We take care of employees and offer great benefits such as:
- Medical Insurance with Celarity contributions
- Paid Time Off
- Dental plan
- 401(k) match plan
Get to know Celarity
Are you a great match?
Rewards for Referrals
Refer a friend or hiring manager and earn up to a $500 Visa gift card!
Share this Job Post
TAKE THE NEXT STEP
SUBMIT YOUR RESUME