Twin Cities Events
MARKETING • CREATIVE • DIGITAL
- This event has passed.
THE BATTLE – A Battle of the Bands Competition
January 31 @ 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm
***Celarity is a Proud Sponsor of this event!***
Last year, agency bands and their wailing guitars and thundering drums raised $25,000 for a University of Minnesota scholarship fund to benefit diverse students pursuing a career in the advertising and communications industry. This year, let’s turn the amps and fundraising up to 11. January 31, 2020. First Ave. Whether you’re in it to win it or just want to have a memorable night with colleagues and industry friends—we welcome rock stars of all levels.
WHAT IS THE BATTLE? An advertising and communications industry battle-of-the-bands that will raise money for a scholarship fund at the University of Minnesota. All proceeds from the event will be donated to “The Battle” Scholarship Fund to support students from diverse ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds who wish to pursue a career in the advertising/communications field. Bands will be critiqued by a panel of music non-snobs and compete for bragging rights and a bad-ass trophy.
HOW CAN WE PARTICIPATE? Band slots are open to any Minnesota-based agency, in-house agency or vendor to the Minnesota advertising and communications community. That means you. Let’s go.
HOW GOOD DO YOU HAVE TO BE? All skill levels welcome. We’re here to have fun, raise money and rock out.
HOW LONG IS A SET? Each band has up to five minutes to do their thing, so keep your solos tight.
WHEN DO WE HAVE TO SIGN UP? Band registration is open now. Slots are limited and are awarded on a first-paid, first-served basis.
ENTRY FEE: $5,000 CONTACT INFO: INFO@THEBATTLEMN.COM THEBATTLEMN.COM
BAND GUIDELINES + SCORING CRITERIA GENERAL
• Slots are open to any Minnesota-based agency, in-house agency or vendor in the Minnesota communications community.
• There are limited band slots available. Each slot will be awarded on a first entry-fee received, first-served basis.
• The Battle is a showcase of creative talent. In that spirit, each band must create an original band name and logo specifically for The Battle. You may not submit a pre-existing name or logo.
• The top three bands will be recognized on stage at the event. The first-place band will receive a prize package for its organization, a trophy and industry bragging rights.
• All competing groups will receive professional band photos shot by Jake Armour. Performance
• Bands may have up to eight performers on stage. If you would like to request more, please contact event organizers.
• Solos and duos must be company employees; trios or larger may bring in one “freelance” non-employee to perform with the band.
• The performance piece can be original music or a cover.
• First Avenue will supply backline items for the bands. A final equipment list will be shared with participating bands prior to the event.
• Bands will have exactly five minutes to set up prior to their performance and five minutes for their performance. Acts will not be allowed to perform past five minutes.
• Band performance order will be randomly drawn and shared prior to the event. Scoring Criteria
• Bands will be scored by a panel of judges on entertainment value, creativity and musical talent. The judges will be announced closer to the event date.
• Each band’s total score will be weighted as follows: 25% creativity of name and logo 25% musical talent 50% overall entertainment value