Celarity Blog • Updated Jan 3, 2018
10 Ways to Make a Great First Impression
Do you have a big sales pitch coming up? A first interview? A networking event? Whatever it may be, first impressions can be a deciding factor in the outcome of your meeting. We’ve all met people that left an unfavorable first impression, and those last right? People make their first judgement of you within a few minutes. So, how do you make sure you leave a great first impression when it matters most?
10 simple tips to help you put your best foot forward:
1. Smile. This seems obvious but smiles can communicate more than words can say. Putting a smile on your face makes you look and feel confident, positive and energetic.
2. Stand tall. Your body language can give away a lot about you. Sitting slouched over during your interview will tell the hiring manager you’re nervous, shy and insecure. Sit up straight and project confidence, it will allow both people to feel more at ease.
3. Be positive. Right off the bat, be positive. Your attitude can drastically affect someone’s perception of you. Until you’ve developed a relationship with someone, don’t speak negatively.
4. Be enthusiastic. Be animated and appear to be enthusiastic, even if you’re not feeling that way. If you’re excited about meeting someone, they will likely feel the same.
5. Make eye contact. This shows you are confident and sure of yourself. Avoiding eye contact when you first meet someone can make you seem insecure, untrustworthy and shy.
6. Listen. This is a common mistake. When you’re nervous you might speak too much as you try to avoid any awkward pauses in the conversation. Learn to slow down and listen to other people.
7. Ask questions. It’s no secret that people love to talk about themselves, this is not meant in a negative way, it’s the truth! Ask other people questions when you first meet them; how are you? How is your day? How long have you worked here? Don’t over-do it, just be genuinely interested in them.
8. Look the part. Whatever first impression you’re trying to make, dress accordingly! Present yourself appropriately, don’t wear sandals to an interview, don’t look disheveled, the list goes on!
9. Use names. People enjoy hearing their own names. It will let them know you are paying attention to them.
10. Speak with authority. Don’t speak as though you’re unsure of yourself. Make it clear that you’re confident in what you’re saying to someone.
Ready to make a first impression on our recruiters? Apply to one of our open jobs in marketing, creative and IT today!
The Celarity Mission
Celarity is an award-winning Staffing & Recruiting agency for Marketing, Creative & Digital talent with a mission: Creating happy careers with meaningful connections. For 30 years we have proudly connected 600+ companies with over 5,000 candidates.
Exploring a new career?
View the latest on-site and remote opportunities.