Creative Studio Manager
What is a Creative Studio Manager?
Similar Job Titles:
Creative studio managers most often work for creative agencies where they oversee design projects, but their biggest responsibility is typically communicating with clients and other key stakeholders. While the creative studio manager must understand the design process and may have held graphic design positions previously, the most important part of their role is being the go-between for the creative production/design team and the client. Their job duties are similar to those of a project manager.
A creative studio manager exists to provide support and management to a design team while communicating with clients on projects. This role is important because, without a creative studio manager, the responsibility of a project would be left to designers, which would take time away from their ability to produce the creative material needed for the project.
What does a Creative Studio Manager do, typically?
Creative Studio Managers should understand all of the elements of the design process from end-to-end, and should also be very people-oriented and great communicators. Their daily responsibilities may include:
- Managing projects from initial idea to final completion
- Liaising with clients to understand business and project needs
- Assessing client briefs and assigning designers to a project
- Proofing and reviewing designs and checking documents before they are sent off
- Assisting on the creative production side when needed and meeting with team members for feedback
- Creating and implementing monthly deadlines, project goals, expectations and workflows to ensure a smooth production process with on-time delivery
Misconceptions about Creative Studio Managers
It’s easy to mistake this role as an art direction type of position, but the emphasis should be on the communication and project management skills.
Creative studio managers need to be able to intimately understand what clients need and ensure they communicate it efficiently to the design team because they are responsible for making sure the client gets what they need.
Important metrics for a Creative Studio Manager
1. Project Costs
The total costs of a project are essential in determining how much the organization made from of a project as a whole. For example, if there were multiple rounds of revision, the amount it cost for the time spent on tasks is important in knowing whether a project was worth it, and how to optimize costs for the future.
2. Time spent on tasks
As a creative studio manager, this role should carefully look at how much time is being spent on certain tasks to examine where workflow processes could be improved.
3. Client feedback
The satisfaction of a client is perhaps the most important metric for a creative studio manager because if the client is happy with the final result it means they did their job correctly. Feedback can be assessed from an in-person meeting, a phone call or an online satisfaction survey.
Creative Studio Manager Salary
US Based, employer-reported data for a Creative Studio Manager:
- 25th Percentile $71K
- Average $81K
- 75th Percentile $91K
Creative Studio Manager Job Description
Bonus copy for your Creative Studio Manager job description or job ad!
Copy the text below and paste it into your own job description, or, into our FREE downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As a creative studio manager at <company XXX>, you will get to do more than just manage creative projects. You will be the go-between for clients and design teams to deliver successful creative projects. More specifically, you’ll get to:
- Manage projects from initial idea to final completion
- Liaise with clients to understand business and project needs
- Assess client briefs and assign designers to a project
- Proof and review design work and check all documents before they are sent off
- Assist on the creative production side when needed and meet with team members for feedback
- Create and implement monthly deadlines, projects goals, expectations and workflows to ensure a smooth production process with on-time delivery
Hire a Creative Studio Manager
We can help you find a qualified Creative Studio Manager that would fit your specific needs. Send us a few details about your ideal candidate and we'd love to start the search for you!
The Celarity Mission
Celarity is an award-winning Staffing & Recruiting agency for Marketing, Creative & Digital talent with a mission: Creating happy careers with meaningful connections. For 30 years we have proudly connected 600+ companies with over 5,000 candidates.
Looking to hire a Creative Studio Manager?
Let us know the qualifications and skills and we'll do the rest!