What is a Event Planner?
Similar Job Titles:
Event planning and management happen in a range of industries, from catering to operations management to fundraising to hospitality and a whole lot more. They may work as a freelancer, with an event-management agency or even in-house at a large company. Read on to discover more about the importance of this role.
While there has been much change in marketing because of the digital revolution, many organizations still understand that it’s important to get face to face with your audience. This is where event management and planning comes in. It is the job of the event planner to be able to clearly communicate and deliver an event that meets the business goals of an employer or client, whatever that event may be.
What does an Event Planner do, typically?
Event Planners must be good at sticking to budgets and communicating with clients and stakeholders to ensure all needs are met for an event. Their daily responsibilities may include:
- Hiring and supervising staff, reserving locations, arranging appropriate catering, and (for conferences) overseeing booth and advertising set up
- Monitoring events while they take place onsite and resolving any issues as they arise
- Setting up and testing audio-visual equipment
- Ensuring compliance with health and safety regulations
- Meeting with clients and/or stakeholders to go over needs and goals for an event as well as budget
- Developing advertising plans and promoting the event
- Possessing an uncanny ability to multi-task and work on multiple things at once in order to hit deadlines
Misconceptions about Event Planners:
Many people may think event planners are simply too expensive and will run up costs when it comes to planning, but this is not true. Hiring or having a point person to manage an event can actually save you money as they are very good at budgeting and ensuring you get the best possible event outcome at the best price.
Important metrics for an Event Planner
The number of people that RSVPd to the event versus the number that attended.
How sponsors thought the event went and the impressions they received.
Social Media Activity
The engagement and buzz generated on social media from the event which can include metrics from paid social media ads and event hashtag use as well.
The number of new referrals, signups for programs and services and the leads and conversions generated.
Event Planner Salary
US Based, employer-reported data for a Event Planner:
- 25th Percentile $57.2K
- Average $67.2K
- 75th Percentile $76.6K
Event Planner Job Description
Bonus copy for your Event Planner job description or job ad!
Copy the text below and paste it into your own job description, or, into our FREE downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As an Event Planner at <company XXX>, you will get to do more than just manage events. You will define event goals, work with key stakeholders and manage the event team. More specifically, you’ll get to:
- Hire and supervise staff, reserve locations, arrange appropriate catering, and (for conferences) oversee booth and advertising set up
- Monitor events while they take place onsite and resolve any issues as they arise
- Set up and test audio-visual equipment
- Ensure compliance with health and safety regulations
- Meet with clients and/or stakeholders to go over needs and goals for an event as well as budget
- Develop advertising plans and promote the event
- Possess an uncanny ability to multi-task and work on multiple things at once in order to hit deadlines
Hire a Event Planner
We can help you find a qualified Event Planner that would fit your specific needs. Send us a few details about your ideal candidate and we'd love to start the search for you!
The Celarity Mission
Celarity is an award-winning Staffing & Recruiting agency for Marketing, Creative & Digital talent with a mission: Creating happy careers with meaningful connections. For 30 years we have proudly connected 600+ companies with over 5,000 candidates.
Looking to hire a Event Planner?
Let us know the qualifications and skills and we'll do the rest!