Marketing Communications Specialist
WHAT IT IS + JOB DESCRIPTION
Marketing Communications (MarCom) is, “the messages and the media/communication channels you use to communicate with your key audiences.” It is also known as the “Promotion” part of the 4 P’s of marketing (Product, Placement, Promotion, Placement).
The purpose of MarCom is to promote specific messaging to key audiences in order for the intended audience to take the desired action that you’re seeking.
What does a Marketing Communications Specialist do, typically?
- Analyze the Purpose of the Marketing Communications Positioning
- Conduct Research & Evaluate Key Audiences
- Determine the Strategy, Tactics, Channels, & Budgets
- Create Promotions Materials
- Measure the Response & Optimize
3 Common Marketing Communications Misconceptions
The Focus Should Be on the Company
Marketing Communications is not about the company – it’s about the customer. The best MarCom professionals are those who can think like the customer.
MarCom Is Only External
There are many types of MarCom professionals – that includes those who specialize in working with external and/or internal audiences. Internal employees are also an audience segment that plays a significant role in branding. Therefore, MarCom plans need to address both external and internal audiences as needed.
MarCom Is About Advertising
Although advertising is one important part of Marketing Communications, it should not be the only tactic used. MarCom is all about utilizing a multi-channel approach and ensuring that the channels used are also the ones that your audience uses.
Important metrics for a Marketing Communications Specialist
- Company KPIs (Key Performance Indicators)
- Brand Awareness
- Conversion Rates
- Open rates (email)
- Page views per article
- Social media shares/likes
Bonus copy for your Marketing Communications Specialist job description or job ad!
Copy the following text and paste it into your own job description, or, into our downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As a Marketing Communications Specialist at <company XXX>, you will get to do more than creating a brand cohesive message to share across all of your company channels. You’ll also get to:
- Create rich promotional videos and content for social media, the company blog, and weekly newsletter
- Conduct audience research and monitor key audiences
- Measure responses, create reports and share important insights from monitoring activities
- Adhere to the brand voice and portray company values through all communication channels and creative promotional content
- Create and monitor budgets and ensure timely project deliveries