What is a Media Producer?
Similar Job Titles:
Digital Media Producer
Media Producers are often involved in several aspects of producing audio and video content used for commercials, movies, online channels, and other mediums. A media producer could work for an agency, a news publication or even a large Fortune 500 company depending on what the needs for media production are.
Media production consists of creating audio-visual products for items like films, commercials, and audio and video messages for television, radio and online formats. Media producers may be responsible for a range of tasks, like animation and narration, editing and arranging videos or developing program material.
What does a Media Producer do, typically?
Because this is a very dynamic role and can change depending on the environment, the duties of a media producer can vary but overall, a media producer should have a good grasp of software editing programs and video and audio equipment. Their daily responsibilities may include:
- Using their knowledge of software programs like Final Cut Pro, AVID, After Effects and Photoshop to create visual pieces
- Working closely with production crew and directors, sound engineers, videographers and producers
- Brainstorming subject matter and choosing topics for videos, writing scripts and titles, editing audio or video footage for media projects
- Producing audio and video content to be used online, for commercials, for motion pictures and more
- Possessing a solid understanding of technology and using it to manage the creation of content for digital formats
- Communicating with other production and project stakeholders to build engaging audio/visual material that meets user needs and production goals
Misconceptions about Media Producers
A lot of people may think a media producer can only be used for broadcast, but this isn’t exactly true. Media producers a lot of the time are varied in their role and can be responsible for creating video and audio pieces that engage current customer bases, attract new customers and even promote loyalty. In short, media producers can be extremely helpful for branding and marketing as well.
Important metrics for a Media Producer
This measures the number of individuals who played a piece of media (audio recording, video, etc.) or other media snippet that can be tracked online. View numbers are good indicators of how successful a specific piece of audio/visual material is.
2. Drop-off rate
This measurement goes along with views in that it shows the engagement the audience has with a piece of content. Did most viewers drop off soon after hitting play, or was there a specific point in the piece where people dropped off at the same time? The answers to these questions are all important in knowing how to improve a piece of content to create better content going forward.
3. Conversion rate
If a piece of audio or visual content has a specific call-to-action, it’s important to track the conversion rate from that piece of content using analytics to track where users and new customers came from.
Media Producer Salary
US Based, employer-reported data for a Media Producer:
- 25th Percentile $47.3K
- Average $58.2K
- 75th Percentile $65.6K
Media Producer Job Description
Bonus copy for your Media Producer job description or job ad!
Copy the text below and paste it into your own job description, or, into our FREE downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As a media producer at <company XXX>, you will get to do more than just handle video and audio equipment, you’ll get to work alongside producers, directors and creative team managers to create engaging audio and visual material. More specifically, you’ll get to:
- Use your knowledge of software programs like Final Cut Pro, AVID, After Effects and Photoshop to create visual pieces
- Work closely with production crew and directors, sound engineers, videographers and producers
- Brainstorm subject matter and choose topics for videos, write scripts and titles, and edit audio or video footage for media projects
- Produce audio and video content to be used online, for commercials, for motion pictures and more
- Possess a solid understanding of technology and use it to manage the creation of content for digital formats
- Communicate with other production and project stakeholders to build engaging audio/visual material that meets user needs and production goals
Hire a Media Producer
We can help you find a qualified Media Producer that would fit your specific needs. Send us a few details about your ideal candidate and we'd love to start the search for you!
The Celarity Mission
Celarity is an award-winning Staffing & Recruiting agency for Marketing, Creative & Digital talent with a mission: Creating happy careers with meaningful connections. For 30 years we have proudly connected 600+ companies with over 5,000 candidates.
Looking to hire a Media Producer?
Let us know the qualifications and skills and we'll do the rest!