WHAT IT IS + JOB DESCRIPTION
Photographers are true creative specialists and capture and tell stories through the imagery they produce. In today’s digital marketing space, Photographers play a key role in photographing images used to capture moments, tell stories, and promote a brand, and then used in a digital marketing capacities, such as for a company or client website, a banner/mobile ad, still shot within a video, sales and marketing collateral, and much more.
What does a Photographer do, typically?
Tell stories through imagery
In today’s digital marketing space, Photographers play a key role in photographing images used to capture moments, tell stories, and promote a brand. Photographers are hired by corporations, startups, digital marketing agencies, advertising agencies, creative departments (freelance/contract), and take on a wide variety of roles capturing important moments through photography. They could be hired to shoot photos for company bios, corporate and/or social events, or marketing projects.
Use technical skills/software to edit/prepare imagery
In today’s world, most Photographers don’t head to the darkroom after a photo shoot. They instead head to the computer and use a variety of software programs to digitally edit, enhance, optimize, and perfect the images they have taken. They adjust color and brightness, or those with advanced skills create computer-generated graphics or animation along with their digital imagery. Photographers use a variety of software programs, including any variation of programs such as Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018, Affinity Photo, Corel PaintShop Pro, Adobe Lightroom CC, Acorn, DXO Photolab, GIMP, and many more.
Use soft skills to lead projects
Photographers who can communicate and engage, have good people skills, and a strong business aptitude are coveted by companies and clients throughout the world. They need to be able to give direction without being pushy. And, they need patience and the ability to handle difficult subject matters or scenarios while keeping things moving.
They should possess a strong attention to detail and must be comfortable with all eyes on them as they move through a photo shoot, giving direction, taking direction, and adjusting as needed. A good Photographer leads the way and is able to get the job done as required, on time, and by the deadline.
Bonus copy for your Photographer job description or job ad!
Copy the following text and paste it into your own job description, or, into our downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As a Photographer at <Company XXX>, you will shoot, create and edit imagery that tells our story, promotes our products, and enhances our brand. There is more than one way to tell a story, and we are looking for a Photographer who can tell several stories through attention-grabbing imagery. You’ll have experience working with diverse subject matters, and be able to capture moments that make a lasting impression. You will be a key member of our creative team, and will be:
- Responsible for the creative direction and execution of photography on a firm-wide basis
- Someone who can work with members of the creative, digital marketing, and sales teams, to capture imagery that promotes our brand, products, and services
- Comfortable giving direction, while still focusing on customer service
- A collaborative individual who can work well in a team environment where priorities and deadlines can shift at a moment’s notice
- Skilled at transferring photographs to computers for editing, archiving, and electronic distribution
- Highly organized, and understand the importance of an organized, and easily accessible digital file management system
- Able to outline project scope, challenges, or needs prior to engaging in the project on site
- Energetic and engaging, with a positive attitude
- Previous corporate or agency experience a plus