Director of Account Management
WHAT IT IS + JOB DESCRIPTION
The role of the Director of Account Management is to lead the account management team and build relationships with existing clients. They work closely with clients to identify their needs. They also develop strategies to grow their client base and ensure that the team is providing quality, cost-effective services.
What does a Director of Account Management do, typically?
Is a “people person”
The Director of Account Management leads the people who work closely with clients. Their primary job is to build and nurture the team that develops long-lasting relationships with clients. They encourage their Account Managers to gain a deep understanding of the client’s needs, and develop tactics that will deliver the most appropriate products or services.
Knows what the company can offer the client
Account Managers work cross-departmentally with sales, advertising, and product development to ensure the client is served appropriately and finds opportunities to provide new sales opportunities with existing clients. It’s part of the Director’s job to develop overarching strategies to ensure clients receive the quality and cost-effective services.
Anticipates and solves problems
A Director of Account Management may handle key accounts themselves. But, they oversee how the Account Manager acts as the point of contact between the company and the client to help solve problems and achieve business goals by building trust and providing strategic and realistic solutions.
A Director of Account Management is not a Director of Account Executives
A Director of Account Executives manages the team that finds new business accounts. A Director of Account Management oversees the team that manages, maintains, and upsells existing accounts.
Important metrics for a Director of Account Management
Directors of Account Management focus on customer retention, revenue growth, and relationship growth to measure the success of their clients’ portfolios.
Bonus copy for your Director of Account Management job description or job ad!
Copy the following text and paste it into your own job description, or, into our downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As the Director of Account Management at <Company XXX>, you will oversee the team that acts as the point of contact between our company and our clients to help solve problems and achieve business goals. More specifically, you’ll get to:
- serve as the lead point of contact for all clients while building and nurturing trusted, long-lasting relationships
- collaborate with our sales, advertising, and product development teams to ensure the client is served appropriately
- develop strategies to grow existing accounts and ensure quality and cost-effective services
- gain a deep understanding of the client’s needs and what they expect from our company
- develop tactics that will deliver the most appropriate products or services
- use your outstanding communication skills to present to and influence key stakeholders in our company and with clients
- develop your team of Account Managers and oversee key accounts