WHAT IT IS + JOB DESCRIPTION
The role of an Account Manager is to be a trusted liaison between a company and its clients. An Account Manager works closely with clients to identify their needs and then develops products or services that address those needs. They may create and manage internal budgets, schedules, and deliverables. Some Account Managers are responsible for soliciting new customers, although this is usually handled by a salesperson who then hands off the account to the Account Manager.
What does an Account Manager do, typically?
Is a “people person”
The Account Manager is the face of a company to a client. Their primary job is to build and nurture a long-lasting relationship with the client by gaining a deep understanding of the client’s needs, and then developing tactics that will deliver the most appropriate products or services.
Knows what the company can offer the client
This type of specialist works cross-departmentally with sales, advertising, and product development to ensure the client is served appropriately and finds opportunities to provide new sales opportunities with existing clients.
Anticipates and solves problems
An Account Manager acts as the point of contact between the company and the client to help solve problems and achieve business goals by building trust and providing strategic and realistic solutions.
Understand customer relationship management (CRM) software
Someone who works with accounts uses CRM software (Salesforce, HubSpot, etc.) to monitor and manage client communications and project flow.
An Account Manager is not an Account Executive
An Account Executive finds new business accounts. An Account Manager manages, maintains, and upsells existing accounts.
Important metrics for an Account Manager
Account Managers focus on customer retention, revenue growth, and relationship growth to measure the success of their client portfolio.
Bonus copy for your Account Manager job description or job ad!
Copy the following text and paste it into your own job description, or, into our downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As an Account Manager at <Company XXX>, you will act as the point of contact between our company and our client to help solve problems and achieve business goals. More specifically, you’ll get to:
- serve as the lead point of contact for your portfolio of clients, building and nurturing trusted, long-lasting relationships
- collaborate with our sales, advertising, and product development teams to ensure the client is served appropriately, and
- find opportunities to provide new sales opportunities with existing clients
- gain a deep understanding of the client’s needs and what they expect from our company
- develop tactics that will deliver the most appropriate products or services
- use your outstanding communication skills to present to and influence key stakeholders in our company and with clients
- use CRM software to monitor and manage company and client needs