What is a Graphic Designer?
Similar Job Titles:
This role must have a solid background in design. A graphic designer is most typically responsible for bringing design solutions to life which adhere to marketing strategies, brand standards, and business goals. Graphic designers must be comfortable making decisions about producing the graphics and should be able to see graphics development from a holistic perspective.
A well-trained graphic designer will be able to both produce and oversee print and digital creative solutions that satisfy the marketing needs of an employer or client. A graphic designer should possess in-depth knowledge of graphic design, styles and layout techniques but also be able to manage people and projects efficiently.
What does a graphic designer do, typically?
Graphic designers will need to have intimate knowledge of graphic design but they will also need to be effective communicators in order to understand the company and/or client needs to execute an effective solution. Their daily responsibilities may include:
- Overseeing all design elements, from the conception to final delivery.
- Reviewing the work of junior designers to give guidance and feedback.
- Having hands-on experience with Adobe Creative Suite and other design software.
- Using their strong eye for aesthetics and visual details to ensure a quality final product.
- Listening to design needs, coming up with ideas and communicating them to clients and other members of the team.
- Providing support for junior level design team members.
- Maintaining high standards of quality and making sure only the best work is released to the employer or client.
- Collaborating across the organization to drive up standards of digital creativity.
A graphic designer is not:
An art director
While both of these roles are creative decision makers, a senior level designer will directly manage a team of graphic designers in a specific medium, while an art director will more broadly look at the overall visual design across several mediums like television, film, and advertisements. See our full description for an art director here <<link>>.
A senior graphic designer
Although a senior designer needs to have good graphic design skills and eye for aesthetics, a graphic designer is a more junior-level role that reports to a senior designer.
Important metrics for a graphic designer
- Target value (number of units produced/week)
- Ability to deliver on-brand, high-quality design
- ROI of specific projects and designs
- Projects delivered on time and on budget
- Feedback is incorporated into final designs
Graphic Designer Salary
US Based, employer-reported data for a Graphic Designer:
- 25th Percentile $53.8K
- Average $60.8K
- 75th Percentile $67.4K
Graphic Designer Job Description
Bonus copy for your Graphic Designer job description or job ad!
Copy the text below and paste it into your own job description, or, into our FREE downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As a graphic designer at <company XXX>, you will be doing much more than creating designs. You will ensure final design products improve the bottom line. More specifically, you will get to:
- Oversee all design elements, from the initial conception to final delivery.
- Have hands-on experience with Adobe Creative Suite and other design software.
- Use your strong eye for aesthetics and visual details to ensure a quality final product.
- Listen to design needs, come up with ideas and communicate them to clients and other members of the team.
- Maintain high standards of quality and make sure only the best work is released to clients.
- Collaborate across the organization to drive up standards of digital creativity.
Hire a Graphic Designer
We can help you find a qualified Graphic Designer that would fit your specific needs. Send us a few details about your ideal candidate and we'd love to start the search for you!
The Celarity Mission
Celarity is an award-winning Staffing & Recruiting agency for Marketing, Creative & Digital talent with a mission: Creating happy careers with meaningful connections. For 30 years we have proudly connected 600+ companies with over 5,000 candidates.
Looking to hire a Graphic Designer?
Let us know the qualifications and skills and we'll do the rest!