What is a Production Artist?
Similar Job Titles:
A production artist is someone who is creative, computer savvy and very skilled at content design. An effective production artist has an excellent eye for design and graphics and will have good interpersonal skills for collaborating with other employees in the creative department.
They must be both technical and creative, using those skills to create a finished product that meets organizational and/or client branding goals.
What does a Production Artist do, typically?
A keen eye for detail is essential for any production artist and well as an eye for aesthetics. Their combined knowledge of both graphics and technical skills makes production artists essential to design teams. Their daily responsibilities include:
- Creating and manipulating graphics through Adobe Creative Suite apps such as Illustrator, Photoshop, and Dreamweaver
- Formatting graphics as well as collecting, processing and proofing various graphics files
- Assisting design teams in producing print, packaging, advertising, point-of-purchase, and digital graphics
- Assessing project specifics and creating a final product that adheres to those requirements
- Collaborating with the design team staff to define design goals
- Reviewing and proofing graphic materials before the product is marked as complete
- Following a product workflow and timeline to ensure projects progress in a timely manner
A Production Artist is not:
An Art Director
An art director is more of a managerial role. Production artists are more occupied with the day-to-day tasks of design and creating graphics while an art director oversees the range tasks being completed to ensure a quality final product. See our full description for an art designer here <<link>>.
A Graphic Designer
A graphic designer works on conceptual/strategic ideas which the production artist then takes and implements the mechanical files for the solution. However, it’s important to note that in some in some cases, a graphic designer may double as a production artist in certain situations or within companies.
Production Artist Salary
US Based, employer-reported data for a Production Artist:
- 25th Percentile $48.2K
- Average $56.7K
- 75th Percentile $65.9K
Production Artist Job Description
Bonus copy for your Production Artist job description or job ad!
Copy the text below and paste it into your own job description, or, into our FREE downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As a production designer at <company XXX>, you will get to do more than just execute designs. You will use both your technical and design skills to create impactful products. More specifically, you’ll get to:
- Create and manipulate graphics through Adobe Creative Suite apps such as Illustrator, Photoshop, and Dreamweaver
- Format graphics and proof files, collect for output for print and other processes
- Assist design teams with producing print, packaging, advertising, point-of-purchase, and digital graphics
- Assess project specifics and creating a final product that adheres to those requirements
- Collaborate with the design team staff to define design goals
- Review and proof graphic materials before the projects are marked as complete
- Follow a product workflow and timeline to ensure projects progress in a timely manner
Hire a Production Artist
We can help you find a qualified Production Artist that would fit your specific needs. Send us a few details about your ideal candidate and we'd love to start the search for you!
The Celarity Mission
Celarity is an award-winning Staffing & Recruiting agency for Marketing, Creative & Digital talent with a mission: Creating happy careers with meaningful connections. For 30 years we have proudly connected 600+ companies with over 5,000 candidates.
Looking to hire a Production Artist?
Let us know the qualifications and skills and we'll do the rest!