What is a Media Buyer?
Similar Job Titles:
Print, radio, television, film and the internet are the most obvious media platforms where products and services are sold. These various different types of media are media buyers do there work.
Media Buyers help drive growth and success for organizations on digital platforms. Their role is important as it is an integral part of the development and management of having an effective digital strategy as well as effective media buying.
What does a Media Buyer do, typically?
The main job of media buyers is to buy media space. They watch various media channels, assess how advertisements are performing on different platforms and media channels. Then, they make the important decisions about where to place specific advertisements and campaigns. Their daily responsibilities may include:
- Working cross-departmentally to align campaign strategies and goals across the organization
- Providing ongoing actionable insights into campaign performance to relevant stakeholders
- Defining, measuring, and evaluating relevant media KPIs
- Building out media buys for various ad platforms and overseeing the day-to-day execution of media
- Overseeing and managing the overall budget for paid media
- Conducting in-depth keyword and website research, ad grouping and audience targeting
- Maintaining knowledge of industry best practices and new technologies
A Media Buyer is not:
A Media Planner
Media buyers are heavily involved in research and identifying the right target demographic for specific campaigns. Media Buyers work closely with media planners to devise media buying strategies which will achieve the right level of coverage.
Important metrics for a Media Buyer:
- On-site conversions
- Cost & click performance
- Impressions/total reach
- Website traffic
Media Buyer Salary
US Based, employer-reported data for a Media Buyer:
- 25th Percentile $55.7K
- Average $69.1K
- 75th Percentile $83.3K
Media Buyer Job Description
Bonus copy for your Media Buyer job description or job ad!
Copy the text below and paste it into your own job description, or, into our FREE downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As a Media Buyer at <company XXX>, you will get to do more than decide which platforms should be used for advertisements and campaigns. You work closely with Media Planners and marketers while contributing to the growth of the company via media strategies. More specifically, you’ll get to:
- Work cross-departmentally to align campaign strategies and goals across the organization
- Provide ongoing actionable insights into campaign performance to relevant stakeholders
- Define, measure, and evaluate relevant media KPIs
- Build out media buys for various ad platforms and oversee the day-to-day execution of media
- Oversee and manage overall paid media budget
- Conduct in-depth keyword and website research, ad grouping and audience targeting
- Maintain knowledge of industry best practices and new technologies
Hire a Media Buyer
We can help you find a qualified Media Buyer that would fit your specific needs. Send us a few details about your ideal candidate and we'd love to start the search for you!
The Celarity Mission
Celarity is an award-winning Staffing & Recruiting agency for Marketing, Creative & Digital talent with a mission: Creating happy careers with meaningful connections. For 30 years we have proudly connected 600+ companies with over 5,000 candidates.
Looking to hire a Media Buyer?
Let us know the qualifications and skills and we'll do the rest!