What is A Media Planner?
Similar Job Titles: Media Buyer
Media Planners are responsible for the day-to-day management of digital marketing campaigns which can include paid search, display and social advertising strategies across both B2B and B2C business.
Media Planners are typically responsible for creating and optimizing media channels to support the digital department in their growth goals.
They help drive growth and success for organizations on digital platforms. Their role is important as it is an integral part of the development and management of having an effective digital strategy as well as effective media buying.
What does a Media Planner do, typically?
Media Planners will typically work within a larger digital marketing team and report directly to the marketing leader to ensure media strategies are aligned with overarching marketing goals. Their daily responsibilities may include:
- Developing, executing, and optimizing cutting-edge digital campaigns from conception to launch
- Working cross-departmentally to align campaign strategies and goals across the organization
- Providing ongoing actionable insights into campaign performance to relevant stakeholders
- Defining, measuring, and evaluating relevant media KPIs
- Building out media buys for various ad platforms and overseeing the day-to-day execution of media
- Overseeing and managing the overall budget for paid media
- Conducting in-depth keyword and website research, ad grouping and audience targeting
- Maintaining knowledge of industry best practices and new technologies
A Media Planner is not:
A PPC Strategist
A PPC Strategist is focused purely on pay-per-click, whereas a Media Planner may focus on a wider array of digital paid strategies. See our full description for PPC strategist here.
An SEO Specialist
SEO Specialists are largely focused on search, and while search and keywords are included in a Media Planners’ responsibilities, they focus beyond search and more toward strategies of different platforms. See our full job description for SEO Specialist here.
Important metrics for a Media Planner:
- On-site conversions
- Cost & click performance
- Impressions/total reach
- Website traffic
Media Planner Salary
US Based, employer-reported data for A Media Planner:
- 25th Percentile $48.7K
- Average $56K
- 75th Percentile $63.8K
Media Planner Job Description
Bonus copy for your Media Planner job description or job ad!
Copy the following text and paste it into your own job description, or, into our downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As a Media Planner at <company XXX>, you will get to do more than just manage online advertisements. You will be responsible for ensuring media projects are successfully planned and executed while contributing to the growth of the company via media strategies. More specifically, you’ll get to:
- Develop, execute, and optimize cutting-edge digital campaigns from conception to launch
- Work cross-departmentally to align campaign strategies and goals across the organization
- Provide ongoing actionable insights into campaign performance to relevant stakeholders
- Define, measure, and evaluate relevant media KPIs
- Build out media buys for various ad platforms and oversee the day-to-day execution of media
- Oversee and manage overall paid media budget
- Conduct in-depth keyword and website research, ad grouping and audience targeting
- Maintain knowledge of industry best practices and new technologies
Visit The Ultimate Guide to Hiring Digital Talent page for more digital job descriptions!
Not the job you were looking for?Search Other Roles