What is A Multimedia Artist?
Similar Job Titles: Motion Graphics Designer, Graphic Designer, Animation Artist
A multimedia Artist is someone who is skilled in graphics technology programs and creates designs and effects for digital media. They will have typically studied a technology or design-related discipline which would enable them to create illustrations, graphic designs and/or computer animation.
This type of artist will typically work in a specific medium, e.g. television, video games, video, 3D animation, etc. so they will be highly specialized and skilled in certain graphics development areas. Whichever medium they might be working in, their focus is to create a cohesive look, feel and layout of the graphics part of a project.
What does a Multimedia Artist do, typically?
Multimedia Artists use multiple technologies and artistic methods to create advertisements, special effects, website designs, and even animation to create unique work that engages users. Their daily responsibilities may include:
- Creating graphics/illustration/animation using computer software programs
- Developing storyboards to map out storylines and graphics to go along with them
- Editing animations and effects based on feedback from art department leaders, graphic designers, and fellow design team members
- Concepting, assembling and producing various forms of 2D and 3D digital art for projects
- Creating and installing special effects
- Collaborating with other design staff and clients to assess the needs of a particular project or campaign
Misconceptions about Multimedia Artists
The name of the position indicates someone who is developing art, but it’s important to remember that this is a very technology-focused role. Multimedia Artists need to have good computer software and even coding skills and need to be savvy at keeping up with the latest in design and animation technologies. While having a good eye for design is an important element of these types of roles, technology know-how is an absolute must.
Important metrics for a Multimedia Artist
To create quality graphics, videos, and images for the web, it’s important to know who the key demographics are, for example, is it a very local demographic or is it international? Then, it’s important to think of the graphics and cultural norms for those audiences.
Views and drop-off rates
This metric is especially important when Multimedia Artists are responsible for creating interactive experiences, such as videos or online games. It shows the popularity of a particular experience and if/when users tended to leave the experience at certain points to know what to improve going forward.
This could be from a client or the audience a graphics experience is targeted toward. Feedback can be assessed from online comments, direct communication or even a survey. The results of the feedback will be crucial in knowing what worked, what didn’t and how to be better in the future.
Multimedia Artist Salary
US Based, employer-reported data for A Multimedia Artist:
- 25th Percentile $53.1K
- Average $63.5K
- 75th Percentile $74.6K
Multimedia Artist Job Description
Bonus copy for your Multimedia Artist job description or job ad!
Copy the following text and paste it into your own job description, or, into our downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As a Multimedia Artist at <company XXX>, you will get to do more than just execute designs. You will create engaging multimedia experiences that result in an increase in users. More specifically, you’ll get to:
- Create graphics/illustration/animation using computer software programs
- Develop storyboards to map out storylines and graphics to go along with them
- Edit animations and effects on the basis of feedback from art department leaders, graphic designers, and fellow design team members
- Concept, assemble and produce various forms of 2D and 3D digital art for projects
- Create and install special effects
- Collaborate with other design staff and clients to assess the needs of a particular project or campaign
Visit The Ultimate Guide to Hiring Digital Talent page for more digital job descriptions!
Not the job you were looking for?Search Other Roles