Celarity Blog • Updated Nov 21, 2018
The State of Mobile+Social 2012
You’ve seen the reports and articles on social media and how influential and widespread it has become. Almost everyone browses Facebook or Twitter on their smartphones or tablets and you can’t go a day without hearing about social topics in our industry.
Nielsen has released their Social Media Report for 2012 with staggering statistics covering everything from mobile usage to incredible social data. Looking at the sheer numbers, it’s clear how important it is to be incorporating social, local and mobile web into your digital marketing strategy. Without it, you’re missing countless potential customers or clients. Check out the amazing statistics courtesy of Nielsen:
- 62.2 billion minutes spent on Facebook via PC and 2.1 billion on Twitter.
- In almost one year, Pinterest has added almost 20 million unique users, with over 70% being female.
- In 2011 we spent 88.48 billion minutes on social media which escalated to 121.1 billion in 2012.
- 163.6 million unique audiences for social networking in 2011. 2012 has brought us to 171.8 million.
- 47% of social media users engage in social care (social customer service) and 1 in 3 social media users prefer contacting company by phone.
- 17% of PC time is spent on Facebook.
Mobile and Apps take over
- The total minutes spent on mobile apps from 2011 to 2012 increased by 120%.
- In one year, the amount of mobile web users has increased 82% and mobile apps by 85%.
- We spent 40.8 billion minutes using mobile apps in 2012, compared to 23.3 billion in 2011.
- Over 720 million minutes spent on the Pinterest app in 2012.
- Consumers have increased their social app time by 76% .
- Using a smartphone to access social media has jumped almost 10% since 2011.
For the full Nielsen report and many more captivating statistics about how social, mobile and the internet as a whole has impacted our lives in the last year, click here.
Need a marketer to help take advantage of this trend? Talk to us about short term contractors/consultants or finding the next rockstar for your team.
The Celarity Mission
Celarity is an award-winning Staffing & Recruiting agency for Marketing, Creative & Digital talent with a mission: Creating happy careers with meaningful connections. For 30 years we have proudly connected 600+ companies with over 5,000 candidates.
Exploring a new career?
View the latest on-site and remote opportunities.