What is a Information Architect?
Similar Job Titles:
According to UX Planet, “Information architecture (IA) is a science of organizing and structuring content of the websites, web and mobile applications, and social media software.” Or, “the practice of deciding how to arrange the parts of something to be understandable.”
The goal of an Information Architect is to reduce the possibility of usability and navigation problems. Having a well-planned and formatted information architecture can help save money and time.
What does an Information Architect do, typically?
In their book, Information Architecture of the World Wide Web, Lou Rosenfeld and Peter Morville note the main components of IA:
- Organization & Categorization: How information is structured
- Labeling: How information is presented
- Navigation: How users go about their journey/browse your site
- Searching: How users look for information
Information Architecture (IA) Is Not UX Design
IA focuses on structure and content organization. Information Architects create skeletons for a website or product by classifying what components need to be within it. UX aims to create a great user experience. UX involves navigation and its ability to promote engagement (adding context to a user’s instinctive behavior).
Important metrics for an Information Architect
- Volume of traffic to categories
- Volume of conversions
- Bounce rates on category landing pages
- Entrance rates
Information Architect Salary
US Based, employer-reported data for a Information Architect:
- 25th Percentile $88.8K
- Average $107.4K
- 75th Percentile $124.5K
Information Architect Job Description
Bonus copy for your Information Architect job description or job ad!
Copy the text below and paste it into your own job description, or, into our FREE downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As an Information Architect at <Company XXX>, you’ll get to do more than reduce the possibility of usability and navigation issues. You’ll showcase your creativity as you produce blueprints for the company website and classify what components need to be within it. More specifically, you’ll get to:
- Decide how the information presented on the website should be structured using Organization and Categorization components of IA
- Design how information should be presented in a clear labeling system
- Help your UX colleagues build the user journey and how users will browse the website
- Build a system fo how users will looking for information or search the content of your website
Hire a Information Architect
We can help you find a qualified Information Architect that would fit your specific needs. Send us a few details about your ideal candidate and we'd love to start the search for you!
The Celarity Mission
Celarity is an award-winning Staffing & Recruiting agency for Marketing, Creative & Digital talent with a mission: Creating happy careers with meaningful connections. For 30 years we have proudly connected 600+ companies with over 5,000 candidates.
Looking to hire a Information Architect?
Let us know the qualifications and skills and we'll do the rest!