MARKETING • CREATIVE • DIGITAL
3 Ways to Market Yourself on LinkedIn as a Marketer
Where To Start
Your LinkedIn profile is often your first online impression to those in your professional network. To stand out as a marketer, you can make a few quick changes to set your profile up for success.
- Personalize your profile picture. At the end of the day, LinkedIn is a social network, and your primary goal is to make connections. By uploading an up-to-date profile photo, you will be able to set the tone for your profile.
- Update your “About” section. Tell others who you are and where you’ve been. Utilize keywords to make your profile more searchable and showcase your work highlights.
- Adjust your “Experience” section. Show the professional accomplishments and experiences you’ve had. Be sure to tag the companies you have worked with and your positions. Using keywords within this section is essential to ensure that your profile is searchable.
While there are many updates you can make on your LinkedIn profile, there are also quite a few mistakes you’ll want to avoid.
Making connections is a great way to build and maintain your professional network, and LinkedIn is the perfect place to grow that community. Here are some easy ways to up your social game on LinkedIn:
- Click “Connect.” Ensure that you add each person you meet in a professional setting as a LinkedIn connection.
- Get Active. It’s important to market yourself on LinkedIn. You should post quality content at least a couple of times a week and comment on posts. The best strategy for staying active on LinkedIn is to discover a cadence that works for you and stick to it!
- Make It Official. Blocking off time on your calendar to spend engaging with your network on LinkedIn is a great way to hold yourself accountable.
Hungry for more? Check out these tips for networking like a pro.
Job Hunting Tips
Are you looking for a job on LinkedIn? You can do many things to make sure that companies and leaders who are hiring can easily find you.
- Make your profile work for you. An important way for others to find you is through keywords. Within your “Experience” and “About” sections, add keywords and skills to show your work and the results you’ve produced.
- Discover your skills. Those that are looking to hire are searching LinkedIn based on skills! There is even a specific tool that hiring managers and recruiters use to search for skills hyper-relevant to their open job. Having position-specific skills on your profile is essential, and having them endorsed by others is even better.
According to a March report by LinkedIn, 40% of employers use skills data when hiring through the platform, up 20% compared with a year prior. To optimize your profile further, learn more about networking and job-seeking tips on LinkedIn.
Level Up Your Profile
After you’ve made the tips above, there are additional updates you can make to further level up your profile and make it even easier for recruiters and hiring managers to find you.
- Add a profile video. Show people that you’re a human with personalized experiences and capabilities.
- Utilize creator mode. Creator mode will allow you to access LinkedIn Live and Newsletters and position yourself as a leader in your industry by sharing with others!
- Update your “Featured” section. The Featured section is your chance to showcase your work, answer questions from peers or customers, and stick out as a top candidate.
- Secure recommendations. Show visitors to your profile that you are an expert and that others support your work. The recommendations section is also a great chance to spotlight your capabilities as a marketer.
- Address the causes you’re passionate about in your “Causes” section. Doing so allows recruiters and hiring managers to determine if you would be a good fit for a mission-based organization.
If you work in marketing and are looking for a new job or wish to stand out in your industry, LinkedIn is the place to be. Don’t overlook the platform’s power – networking with others and making connections can open many new opportunities for your career. Getting started with making updates to your profile is the most important part. Remember, progress over perfection wins every time. We know you will do great!