WHAT IT IS + JOB DESCRIPTION
The purpose of a Content Strategist is to develop a strategy for promoting an organization’s stories. The position focuses on content planning, development, design, production, analysis, management, and measurement. A Content Strategist is responsible for establishing an organization’s editorial voice, and determining content needs, channel selection, and distribution. Job descriptions for a Content Strategist may vary, depending on the needs of the organization. Some may emphasize analytics and technical expertise; some focus on content development and marketing.
What does a Content Strategist do, typically?
Develops content strategies for multiples channels and platforms
A Content Strategist is familiar with traditional and digital marketing channels, content marketing and distribution platforms, and consumer analytics.
Defines key brand messages and insights
A Content Strategist (working with cross-functional teams) establishes and articulates the organization’s internal and external key messages, and ensures that content is aligned.
Understands digital measurement metrics
These specialists have a strong understanding of SEO, keyword research, information architecture, and usability best practices
Knows how to tell a story
A Content Strategist works with editors, writers, UX designers, content management system developers, and marketers to deliver stories that are aligned with business goals.
A Content Strategist is not:
A Content Developer
Content Strategists focus on strategies and tactics for creating and delivering content that will engage various stakeholders. Content Developers create the content.
A Content Marketer
Content Strategists create a strategy and the appropriate tactics for engaging consumers through content. Content Marketers may get involved if one of the tactics is branded content that will deliver a story.
Important metrics for a Content Strategist
Content Strategists set business performance goals or Key Performance Indicators (KPI) to measure:
- brand awareness
- lead generation
- customer loyalty
- user engagement
Bonus copy for your Content Strategist job description and job ad
Copy the following text and paste it into your own job description, or, into our downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As a Content Strategist at , you’ll get to showcase your expertise in using content to attract and engage internal and external stakeholders, use your strategic and creative skills to refine, enhance, and drive our brand awareness, and promote our brand. More specifically, you’ll get to:
- develop content strategies for traditional and digital marketing channels, and content marketing and distribution platforms
- use consumer analytics to determine the best way to engage users, increase customer loyalty, generate leads, and measure brand awareness
- work with cross-functional teams to establish and articulate internal and external key messages, and ensure that content is aligned accordingly
- use your understanding of SEO, keyword research, information architecture, and usability best practices to deliver targeted content
- work with editors, writers, UX designers, content management system developers, and marketers to deliver stories that are aligned with business goals