Marketing Automation Developer
WHAT IT IS + JOB DESCRIPTION
Marketing Automation Developers work with email and marketing automation platforms such as Marketo, Eloqua, Exact Target, Salesforce Marketing Cloud, and more.
What does a Marketing Automation Developer do, typically?
The Marketing Automation Developer partners with business marketers and IT development teams to develop processes and solutions within marketing automation platforms. These specialists identify and capture marketing business needs, document user stories, develop and test solutions in a specific marketing automation platform.
These developers may be customer/business facing (in marketing). But, they are also highly technical, requiring strong applied experience in the marketing automation platform being used by the firm. Marketing Automation Developers focus on:
- building email templates in content builder
- working closely with the strategy team to understand requirements and technical specifications for fast delivery on shorter go-to-market timelines
- building and testing user journeys
- creating in-depth test plans to make sure all possible scenarios are tested properly before deployment
- understanding the end-to-end experience of emails and forms/landing pages from creation to deployment and reporting
- being the liaison in troubleshooting a myriad of data or technical challenges
- working with vendor, development teams and the business to find resolutions
Marketing Automation Development is not Back-End Development:
Back-End Developers are needed to make the server, application, and database communicate with each other. Back-end developers use server-side languages like PHP, Ruby, Python, Java, and .net to build an application, and tools like MySQL, Oracle, and SQL Server to find, save, or change data and serve it back to the user in front-end code. These developers specialize in the back-end of website, applications, and software. They are not typically skilled in the design elements of front-end or Marketing Automation Developers.
Important metrics for testing automation:
- percentage of broken builds
- percentage of tests passed or failed
- number of defects found in testing
- defects in production
Bonus copy for your Marketing Automation Developer job description or job ad!
Copy the following text and paste it into your own job description, or, into our downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As a Marketing Automation Developer at <company XXX>, you will get to exercise your expertise in marketing automation platforms, email template design, and more. You’ll also be responsible for:
- Building email templates in content builder
- Working closely with the strategy team to understand requirements and technical specifications for fast delivery on shorter go-to-market timelines
- Building and testing user journeys
- Creating in-depth test plans to make sure all possible scenarios are tested properly before deployment
- Understanding the end-to-end experience of emails and forms/landing pages from creation to deployment and reporting
- Being the liaison in troubleshooting a myriad of data or technical challenges
- Working with vendor, development teams and the business to find resolutions
Visit The Ultimate Guide to Hiring Digital Talent page for more digital job descriptions!