WHAT IT IS + JOB DESCRIPTION
The purpose of a Digital Designer is to create digital assets for multimedia and graphics projects, including websites, mobile apps, advertising, animation, emails, social media, video games, and interactive displays. Some Digital Designers work exclusively on digital projects; some also design print collateral. In their work, Digital Designers use computer software like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Muse, Premier Pro, After Effects, and InDesign.
What does a Digital Designer do, typically?
Designs on-brand creative solutions
A Digital Designer creates, manages, and produces digital design solutions for a variety of uses: websites, product graphics, email templates, social media graphics, brand campaigns, and photography.
Translates creative concepts into visual design
A Digital Designer works with cross-functional teams to take ideas from concept to execution, working with project managers, design teams, information technologists, and content experts. A Digital Designer interprets the team’s concepts into a design that will deliver an effective user experience.
Uses Digital Design and development tools
Misconceptions about the role of a Digital Designer
Digital Designers are not:
- Digital Marketers: Digital Designers focus on creating the best experience for a specific person (or avatar) who will interact with the design. Digital Marketers focus on using digital solutions to get the greatest number of people to interact with the design.
- Graphic Artists: Digital Designers do their work using digital tools, and most, if not all, of their work is delivered in a digital format. Graphic Artists design mostly print collateral, although some projects may end up in a digital format. Because of the blurred lines between traditional and digital media, the job title Graphic Artist is being rapidly replaced by Digital Designer or Digital Artist.
Important metrics for a Digital Designer
It’s not always easy to use traditional business metrics to measure whether or not a design is effective, or to determine if a Digital Designer’s work engages the user as intended. Here are a few ways to measure digital design:
- How to Determine a Design’s Value
- Digital Analytics Program (DAP)
- Characteristics of a Dream Digital Designer
Bonus copy for your Digital Designer job description and job ad
Copy the following text and paste it into your own job description, or, into our downloadable template in the section that looks like this: <INSERT JOB DESCRIPTION COPY FROM BLOG POST HERE>
As a Digital Designer at <Company XXX>, you’ll get to showcase your expertise in creating digital assets for our multimedia and digital communication needs.More specifically, you’ll get to:
- Design on-brand creative solutions for a variety of uses: websites, product graphics, email templates, social media graphics, brand campaigns, and photography
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to deliver designs that are creative, useful, and align with technical and brand standards
- Take ideas from concept to execution, working with project managers, design colleagues, information technologists, and content experts to deliver an effective user experience
- Use the latest software and applications to design and develop digital solutions
Visit The Ultimate Guide to Hiring Digital Talent page for more digital job descriptions!