Celarity Blog • Updated Oct 16, 2023
Insider Advice From Celarity Recruiters
If you’re one of the 10.7 million Americans currently navigating the ever-changing job market, it’s likely that you know all too well how challenging being a job seeker today can be. And, as talks of hiring freezes, layoffs, and even recessions continue to swing from one extreme to the next, it seems everyone is buzzing about hiring trends.
While it can be intimidating to navigate a job search journey in the present day, you are not alone, and the Celarity team is here to help!
With over 30 years of assisting talented job seekers (like yourself!) land their dream roles, we sat down with 7 of our recruiters for a Q&A to get an insider’s perspective on all things resume success, current job market trends, and strategies to optimize your career journey. ⬇️
What Is The Job Market Like Today?
Stemming from years of unknowns for Marketing, Creative, and Digital professionals, there is no doubt that this is one of our most frequently asked questions (and rightfully so!). Our Recruiting Manager, Katie, is here to shed some light on the 3 trends we’re seeing from clients today. ⬇️
- The dust of the past few years appears to be settling. You read that right! While we can’t speak for all organizations and industries, we’re hearing of fewer layoffs and hiring freezes, and many of our clients are anticipating hiring increases moving into the last half of the year.
- We’ve started to receive a higher job volume, with many opportunities having a content, copywriting, or communications focus.
- Hiring trends vary based on industry. While our clients range across the board, we’ve been seeing a large number of openings in the healthcare and medical device industries recently.
Although we don’t have a way to see into the future, it’s clear that the job market is changing each day, and it’s more important now than ever to stay prepared.
How Do I Begin To Navigate An Unknown Job Market?
Now that you know a bit more about the projected future of the job market, it’s time to decide how you will navigate it. While this can be quite intimidating, our Recruiting Director, Brendan, has seen some tried and true strategies over his 13 years in the industry to help kickstart your journey.
- First and foremost, define your search strategy. Make a list of the companies and values that spark your interest, the titles you may be interested in exploring, and the goals you have for your future.
- Set benchmarks. While strategies alone are great, goals and actionable steps are what will ultimately lead you to success. Brendan recommends setting daily or weekly tasks to help you reach your end goals.
- Utilize your network. Although it can feel intimidating to reach out, most people are genuinely happy to help, but they must know you are looking for help first! Tap into your friends, family, coworkers, or other connections to propel your next career step.
All in all, focus on what you can control in order to avoid getting overwhelmed. Job searching can be draining, so do your best to maintain a positive mindset during the search!
Where Can I Actually Meet Other Professionals In My Field?
The answer to this question may not surprise you – network, network, network. As our Recruiter, Darren, says best: “The greatest thing Marketing professionals can do to meet people in their community is to attend both in-person and virtual networking events!”
Whether it be an industry-specific gathering, conference, volunteer opportunity, or even an online LinkedIn group, there are many ways to network within your own comfort zone.
The first and most important step is to put yourself out there and recognize what you wish to achieve from your personal networking journey. By doing this, you’ll be on your way to making sustainable connections in no time!
How Can I Make My Resume Stand Out From The Crowd?
Creating an eye-catching resume is one of the best ways to land an interview organically and stick out among other candidates. After all, hiring managers often have a lot of resumes to sift through, and curating a resume that is easy to read, engaging, and professional is a great way to propel your journey.
Celarity’s resume expert and Senior Recruiter, Sarah, has 3 tips to help get you set with a top-tier resume. ⬇️
- Become a Succinct Storyteller. Yes, it is important to include data and metrics on your resume, but it’s also important to communicate your career story to hiring managers. Bonus tip: it’s perfectly okay to use more than 1 page to do so!
- Customization is key! We know it’s not always ideal to spend extra time on an application while job searching. But, by looking for common themes and customizing your applications, you’ll show hiring managers that you have the tools to succeed right off the bat.
- Create a skills bank and list your top areas of expertise. A defined skills bank can help catch the attention of hiring managers right away.
At the end of the day, your resume is more than a list of bullet points summarizing your work experience. Be sure to dedicate adequate time to make your resume work for you!
When Do I Need A Cover Letter?
While on the topic of applications, let’s talk about cover letters. As our Senior Recruiter, Ashlee, expresses to each of her candidates, it’s only necessary to include a cover letter when you’re specifically required to or if you have valuable information to share that is not on your resume.
In instances where you do feel it’s necessary to submit a cover letter, make sure it’s curated specifically for the position and company at hand. This can mean referencing shared values, calling out specific skills of the role, or even sharing insight into how your previous experiences make you a great fit for the open position.
What Can I Do To Overcome Interview Jitters?
Now that you’ve submitted your application and landed an interview (great job!), let’s turn our attention to overcoming the dreaded interview jitters. Celarity’s Lead Recruiter, Jessica, recommends the following steps:
- Remember that interviews are just as much for you as they are for the interviewing company! Interviews are your time to determine if the opportunity is the right fit for your goals, values, and priorities.
- Be yourself. Finding a role and team that celebrates you as a person can make all the difference in your career journey. So, always put your true self on display!
- Do your research. Look for the hiring managers on LinkedIn to understand their background and find commonalities to connect on during your interview. Putting a face to a name can do wonders for calming nerves.
- Prepare! Create an outline of your experience, practice interview questions, and write down 3-5 questions that you have for hiring managers. This way, you’ll know that you have a backup if needed, and you don’t need to try to plan things on the spot.
Interview jitters can be scary, no doubt! Working to overcome them takes courage, but you have what it takes to be successful.
Why Should I Send A Thank-You Note After An Interview?
You’ve mastered the art of the interview, and now it’s time to follow up! Did you know that only 1 in 4 professionals send a thank you note after an interview, but 80% of hiring managers find them helpful during candidate reviews?
According to our Senior Recruiter, Megan, thank you notes are beneficial for more than one reason. They can…
- Reinforce your interest in the position
- Highlight specific topics from the interview
- Help you maintain a positive impression
- Keep you top of mind
- Show your gratitude
Ultimately, there aren’t many (if any!) downsides to sending a thank you note, and it’s a fairly easy way to set yourself apart.
Celarity Can Help!
We get it – job searching can be quite a stressful process, and the advice above may sometimes seem easier said than done.
If you’re navigating your next career step, we have great news: you do not need to walk this journey alone! The Celarity team is here to help you each step of the way (in fact, our mission is literally to Create Happy Careers!).
The Celarity Mission
Celarity is an award-winning Staffing & Recruiting agency for Marketing, Creative & Digital talent with a mission: Creating happy careers with meaningful connections. For 30 years we have proudly connected 600+ companies with over 5,000 candidates.
Exploring a new career?
View the latest on-site and remote opportunities.